Sunday, September 30, 2007

Masstransiscope

While doing some research about the zoetrope, looking for sources of inspiration for my capstone idea, I came across this neat little piece by Bill Brand, dubbed the Masstransiscope. Made in Brooklyn, New York in September 1980, Brand used the same principles behind the zoetrope to create a 228-frame animation that is viewable only by passengers riding past it while on the subway. I recommend taking a look at the website for yourself.

I found the piece very clever, and got me thinking about how else an animation can be presented. Could there be another way for me to publicly display an animation using the zoetrope (or other analog optical toy) as the basis of it? I don't have access to a subway system, or anything resembling one, in the middle of Maine, so what other alternatives might be available for me? Vehicles would be too dangerous, as distracting the drivers is always a bad idea--I would not like to be responsible for causing a dozen accidents on the highway.

I suppose I don't have much else to say, except that it's just more ideas for me to ponder over.

No comments: