Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Clustering #2

One day, after grumbling over interactivity in New Media, I joked to myself that you really can't get more interactive than a plain old sand box, and that I should do that as my capstone project. You can literally do anything you want with a sandbox--build castles, write your name in it, throw sand at people's eyes. The pinnacle of interactivity.

Then as is my nature, about a week later I returned to that idea, and thought about how I could seriously turn a sand box into my capstone project. I eventually thought up an idea for an interactive online sand box. It would be a browser-based program (possibly Flash or Java, but I'm not worrying about the technical bits yet), and would essentially just be a top-down view of a virtual sand box
. Anyone who comes to the website can alter the sand box in any way, and it'll affect the appearance of the sand box on everyone's browser. Billy can write his name in the sand, and Susie can watch the sand being altered on her own computer from the other side of the continent. Some things you could do in the sandbox would be:
  • Writing or drawing in it;
  • Building sand castles and moats;
  • Digging up items, and burying other items;
  • Destroying other people's sand creations;
  • Fill in your own idea here
Sadly, I would not know how to allow you to throw actual sand at people's eyes over the internet. If I did, I would probably be a millionaire.

No comments: