Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Clustering #1

I am still exploring different ideas for my capstone project, so I am creating clusters to help organize my ideas. This first one, I am looking into the possibilities of creating a MUD (Multi-User Dungeon, a text-based precursor to modern-day MMORPGs), but thinking about how I could re-work it differently. A few ideas I've been kicking around in my head are:
  • What if, instead of only a few select people, everyone was given admin rights? Anyone who joined the "game" would have the ability to create, modify, and destroy anything--rooms, monsters, items, gold, even other players (in the case of "destroy"). Would chaos rule the game world, led by those who simply thrive in the sheer destruction of other players and/or their precious creations, or would order miraculously unfold (perhaps out of sheer fear that, if you delete someone's account or creations, that they might retaliate against you and your work). Or would something unexpected happen? From my perspective (being the creator), would it be wise if I limited the admin powers so that they couldn't destroy others' accounts, or let there be no boundaries except those imposed by the players themselves? More importantly, how would I set up the system so that people can even edit this game world? I guess I'll ignore the technical questions for now, and just stick with conceptual.
  • Most MUDs that are out there basically feature a world where you can collect currency and items, and allow you to fight other players or NPCs (non-player characters). The themes may differ vastly between them (fantasy, sci-fi, modern... there are even some rated-X adult-oriented ones as well, but I will not discuss those), but the overall structure is mostly the same. What other possibilities could be explored? How about a game that is based on not killing, but perhaps making peace? How would such a game work? Or what about a game where the roles are reversed--you play as a "monster", having to fight off those annoying "player characters" who keep invading your home and killing you and your friends just so they can loot your treasure?
I would love to hear your opinion on any of these ideas. In the meantime, I'll continue brainstorming other potential capstone ideas. Oh, and that cluster chart I mentioned earlier is right below. I used bubbl.us to create it. Quite a nice and fun little tool, if I do say so myself.

No comments: