Saturday, October 6, 2007

Man With A Movie Camera

Another link Jon Ippolito sent me for research purposes is for an experimental film initiated by Perry Bard called Man With a Movie Camera. It is essentially a "participatory video", in which people from anywhere around the world select a shot or a scene from the original script of Dziga Vertov's 1929 film Man With A Movie Camera, film it, and submit it to the website so that everyone's shots can be compiled into one film.

This gets me thinking about how I could do something similar with my idea for an animation. Unfortunately, it would be nigh impossible for me to ask many people to animate a shot or scene, as there are far fewer people who have the capability to animate (especially in 3D, but if I were to do this, I wouldn't limit the media to strictly 3D computer animation) than there are people who can film. Almost anyone can pick up a camera and use it, and get their scene done within a day or two. An animation is much more involved, and creating a scene of the same length might take weeks, or even months. But it's a good idea to start with, nonetheless, and it might help inspire me for my capstone piece.

No comments: