Sunday, October 28, 2007

Feeling like a stick in the MUD

It has been very busy for me recently, so I haven't had much of a chance to update my blog beyond adding my proposal paper. I have been doing a lot of reviewing of other people's capstone ideas, giving suggestions, writing and editing my proposal paper and Gantt chart, and other random school work that I haven't had much time to work on my actual project.

I am also daunted by the task of working on a project that I've had little experience with, outside of actually playing a few MUDs a few years ago. I will either need to learn a programming language (not exactly sure what that language will be yet, at least not until after I research what is available), or make friends with someone willing to code for me. Thankfully, I do not believe I am forced to start from scratch; there are many source codes available for MUDs that are very basic, and allow designers to work off of and improve to fit their game better. I believe one of my first steps I will need to take is to research what is available for me to work from, and go with the one that fits my idea the best. This saves me about three heart attacks and an aneurysm, because I will not be forced to develop the entire system from the ground up and instead will have more time to create a solid and hopefully functional game.

If anyone knows of anyone who has actually had experience building MUDs before, I would love to receive a little bit of help.

No comments: