Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Milestone #3, and Capstone Testing Plan


Here's my updated Gantt chart. I have finished rendering for my animation (sound the trumpets!), and all that's really left that needs doing is for me to finish the audio for it. I have the voice acting done for it, performed by my friend, but it lacks any sound effects. It shouldn't be too hard to finish at this point, though. I'll have all four of my layers ready to present tomorrow in class.

And now for the more important part of this post: capstone testing plan. By March 31st, I will have completed all my testing required for capstone. So without further adieu:

My Capstone Testing Plan
  • Audience: I will target new media and studio art students and faculty. I will also ask Jason Walker if he would like us to target other groups, such as computer science students/faculty. I will ask Owen Smith if he has any recommendations for people to contact.
  • Deployment: Since our project is an installation that can only be experienced to its full potential in person, we will plan on setting up a time and place for people to come and test it out. We will be contacting other capstoners who are doing installations (Kristina Younan and Dan Sprogis, maybe Dana Ransdell if he's setting up his project as an installation, and whoever else might be doing installations. I'll have to research), and we will try to coordinate having the same time/place. I know it is possible for us to use the Collaborative Media Lab as a place to test, but I'm not sure if it is the most ideal spot for the other capstoners yet.
  • Promotion: I think the most effective way to get the word out is to send out posters for the event. The printed posters would be placed in key locations, such as the 4th floor of Chadbourne Hall, the Collaborative Media Lab, Lord Hall, and the Memorial Union. Other locations may become important depending on the opinions of the other capstoners with installations. In addition, the posters would be sent via FirstClass email to the "NM Major", "Art", and "Announcements & Alerts" folders, would be posted on the New Media Website, and might be announced in the Maine Campus. I think if we offered FREE snacks as well, more people might be keen on showing up (although such a thing would be difficult to pull off at the Collaborative Media Lab, if that's where we end up having it, given the library's ban on food... but there's always the possibility of being extremely sneaky about it).
  • Feedback Mechanism: Probably the easiest way to do this would be to give out a hard-copy survey for the user to fill out upon testing our project. As the installation really needs to be experienced in person, it would only make sense to have a physical survey, as opposed to an online one. Questions would include "How was your overall experience?" and "What did you like/dislike about the touch interface/animation?", among other questions that we'll need to think up, and would also include an "Other comments" section for anything else the user feels like adding.
  • Feedback Summary Format: We would have to custom collate our results, since the mechanism used to collect the results is very much not digital. The results would consist of written testimonials (most likely whatever is written down in "Other comments", but it may come from other questions asked) and charts (such as to show everyone's rating of their overall experience, from "Excellent" to "Terrible").

No comments: